[time 5] [Fwd: money and time; time and money]

ca314159 (ca314159@bestweb.net)
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 06:48:11 -0800

Time List,
  If my understanding of lists is correct, this should reach
all of you. Majordomo sent me a confirmation that I was subscribed
to the time list.
  Right now I'm curious about fermions because most of the ideas
I've been toying with seem applicable only to bosons or the simplest
case of waves and particles. Particles with charge, mass, inertia
create another layer of complexity.
   What follows is just a playful survey of ideas I wrote up for
someone at work who was into Nietzsche's ideas on the determination
of truth. Philosophers, linguists and physicists alike, trouble
with the nature of classifications of events in time as well as
the associations of "events" in space.

--

http://www.bestweb.net/~ca314159/

attached mail follows:

Money is a liquid as is Time; they cannot have "value" without "measurement" which is the exchange of money for the information of its value. Similarly, time has no "value" unless it is measured by a clock and otherwise flows like a liquid, uninterrupted and unmeasured.

The "value" of "truth" is determined by the measurement of truth.

If something is true, then it is also not "not true".

Can something be a member of the set "true" and also a member of the set "not true" ?

Can we say that Schrodinger's Cat is both dead and alive ?

"Statistically", orthogonality is handled by the concept of discrete and independent measurements with an orthonormal basis. We say the cat will be measure sometimes in the alive state and sometimes in the dead state for ensembles of measurements. From a view over Time, the abstract notion of a Cat appears to be classifable as both dead AND alive while specific cats are measured as either dead XOR alive. This gives us the illusion of the abstract cat being simultaneously dead AND alive related to the concepts of distinguishable Boolean measureables. This is the Bohr-Heisenberg approach to quantum physics and by mapping "truth" and "falsity" for "dead" and "alive" one relates this problem to the that of getting non-orthogonal results from a Boolean bivalent logic.

A "non-Statistical" approach, is that of Schrodinger. Instead of having distinguishable measurements over time, he uses the ability of waves to superpose states like "dead" and "alive" so that they can be both valid states at the same time. Something can therefore be true and false at the same time. But in Schrodinger's approach, this wave is abstract. Upon measurement it must collapse into one of the two states "dead" xor "alive". In this case we do not need the notion of an abstract cat to represent non-orthogonality of states as we did in the statistcal approach, but we do need the notion of an abstract "wavefunction" which holds the superposition of orthogonal states. The superposition of orthogonal states is how wave theory represents bivalent Boolean logic in terms of state-less waves.

The cat, can be thought of as a particle. It can be measured in specific complementary states (dead xor alive) only within the notions of Time and Causality.

A "determination of Truth" can be thought of as a particle. It can be measured in specific complementary states (true xor false) within the notions of Time and Causality.

Without "Time", there is no closure on a Truth, its value like the value of money is only determined upon the closure of measurement or sale. Its expected value is a matter of speculation which is an attempt to evaluate or predict its future value. The expectations of values are not closures just as Schrodinger's wavefunction is "abstract" and only becomes "real" when a measurement (closure) takes place. The sequences of closures form the basis of the meaurement of Time since the causual relations between the closures are viewable as a "time-series" of events.

Expectations are made "through" time. We only have to "predict" things if we cannot stand outside of Time and see the causual chain as a continuous uninterrupted chain or wave from past to future.

Living inside of Time requires us to predict things (events) and these are particulate events to which we ascribe states or values. Living outside of Time, we view only space and events become merely a spatial collection of states.

The former is time-like while the later is space-like.

It is time-like to look at a painting, molecule by molecule in ordered sequence and not in general being able to predict what the color of the next molecule will be. This is a dynamic process of observation.

It is space-like to view the painting static whole where there is no time and we do not resolve particulate molecules. We only see the superpositions of colors and never make any measurements upon the colors of specific molecules.

The problem with continuity is that almost everyone demands closure.

see Discourse and Debate: http://www.bestweb.net/~ca314159/