[time 1039] [Fwd: "Machines, Logic and Quantum Physics"]

Stephen Paul King (stephenk1@home.com)
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 12:35:49 -0500

attached mail follows:

*Machines, Logic and Quantum Physics*

Authors: David Deutsch, Artur Ekert, Rossella Lupacchini

Abstract: Though the truths of logic and pure mathematics are objective and
independent of any contingent facts or laws of nature, our knowledge of
these truths depends entirely on our knowledge of the laws of physics.
Recent progress in the quantum theory of computation has provided practical
instances of this, and forces us to abandon the classical view that
computation, and hence mathematical proof, are purely logical notions
independent of that of computation as a physical process. Henceforward, a
proof must be regarded not as an abstract object or process but as a
physical process, a species of computation, whose scope and reliability
depend on our knowledge of the physics of the computer concerned.

-- David Deutsch
http://www.qubit.org/people/david/David.html