[time 1018] Re: [time 1017] Re: [time 1013] [Fwd: Simpson's Paradox and Quantum Entanglement]

Stephen Paul King (stephenk1@home.com)
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 14:54:20 -0500

Dear Hitoshi, Tito, Robert and Friends,

        This is a cause for happiness! We still have much work to do in the
area of figuring out the way to model the classical environment E of a
quantum mechanical Local System.

Hitoshi Kitada wrote:

> Dear Robert, Stephen, et al.,
>
> I was informed from a person in Israel (see attachment) that an idea similar to
> mine is in
>
> http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/quant-ph/9902035
>
> The abstract is:
>
> > Quantum Physics, abstract
> > quant-ph/9902035
> > From: Jan M Rost <rost@tqd1.physik.uni-freiburg.de>
> > Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:43:43 GMT (12kb)
> >
> > Time Dependence in Quantum Mechanics
> > Authors: John S Briggs, Jan M Rost
> > Comments: 7 pages, no figures
> >

> > It is shown that the time-dependent equations (Schr\"odinger and Dirac)
> > for a quantum system can be always derived from the time-independent
> > equation for the larger object of the system interacting with its
> > environment, in the limit that the dynamical variables of the
> > environment can be treated semiclassically. The time which describes
> > the quantum evolution is then provided parametrically by the
> > classical evolution of the environment variables. The method used
> > is a generalization of that known for a long time in the field of
> > ion-atom collisions, where it appears as a transition from the full
> > quantum mechanical {\it perturbed stationary states} to the
> > {impact parameter} method in which the projectile ion beam is
> > treated classically.
>
> In the paper Briggs and Rost introduce a decomposition of the total Hamiltonian
> H similar to that of http://kims.ms.u-tokyo.ac.jp/time_VI.tex ; a decomposition
> of H into a sum of H_S of the system S under discussion and H_E of the
> environment E with a non-zero interaction term H_{ES} between them. They derive
> the existence of time for the system S from the *time-independent* Schroedinger
> equation (E-H) Psi = 0 for the total system. The argument is different from mine
> in the point that my argument that derives the nonzero interaction is a top-down
> argument from Goedel's incompleteness theorem, while they seem to derive it from
> the apparent existence of time for the system S (see section IV). In this point
> their argument seems circular, but the main point of their arguments is in
> showing that time is a (semi-)classical notion that arises from the interaction
> of the system S with the *classical* environment E, which is very similar to
> mine.

        Circularity, per say, is not a problem if we are working within
Non-well founded set theory (ZFA)... The main problem that I have run
into is that thinking about time (viz. Van Benthem, et al) is confined
to the ordinary ZFC system and thus we will need to think about this. I
will be looking for persons interested in this area of research...

> In showing this, they use an " 'entangled' wave function for the complete object
> composed of system and environment."
>
> I am not sure if their usage of the word "entangled" is the same as Robert's.
> But seeing their definition, the entangled state seems to be a (infinite and
> convergent) sum of tensor products of vectors (wavefunctions) belonging to
> Hilbert spaces HH_S and HH_E describing the interior and exterior systems S and
> E. If this is the case with Robert's thought I can understand what Robert wrote
> before.

        Could Bill's infinite products be the classical (external) reflection
of this sum of wavefunctions? My idea, metaphorically rendered, is that
for every wave function there exists a space-time Minkowskian manifold
that has embedded within itself the trajectories of classical particles
that the wave function describes. Does this make any sense? :-)

> Their work suggests that the investigation of time becomes within a reach of
> concrete physics, i.e. one can produce papers on time as one of the usual
> researches as other physical areas. The period for paradigm shift might have
> ended, and a time industry seems to be starting.

        Hurray!

> Best wishes,
> Hitoshi

        The idea of memory seems to point to the metaphor of a dependence of an
objects properties on some particular history. As interactions continue,
the possible histories of the object tends to become multivalued, so the
relationship that you point out here is very valid. What we perhaps need
to look at more closely is the relationship between thermodynamic
entropy and information!

Kindest regards,

Stephen