[time 951] Re: [time 950] Re: [time 949] Re: [time 944] Goedel's incompleteness implies the existence of time

Hitoshi Kitada (hitoshi@kitada.com)
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 02:36:13 +0900

Dear Stephen,

Thanks for your comments.

----- Original Message -----
From: Stephen P. King <stephenk1@home.com>
To: Hitoshi Kitada <hitoshi@kitada.com>
Cc: Time List <time@kitada.com>; Paul Hanna <phanna@ghs.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 23, 1999 12:07 AM
Subject: [time 950] Re: [time 949] Re: [time 944] Goedel's incompleteness
implies the existence of time

> Dear Hitoshi,
>
> Hitoshi Kitada wrote:
> >
> > Dear Stephen,
> >
> > Thanks for your comments and helps in English. I corrected some points as
in
> > the LaTeX file attached.
>
> It is my pleasure to help! :-) One final editorial note: Perhaps the
> word "general" would be better that "generic" in the phrase: "Thus [P_L,
> P] = P_L P - P P_L = 0. But in generic this does not hold because ..."

In mathematics, the word "generic" may be used in a slightly different way
than the usual one (I might be wrong as I am not an English speaker): In this
case, "in generic" means that

[P_L, P] = 0 is "almost" equivalent to [H_L, H] = 0, but is slightly different
in the sense that in some "special" cases, [P_L, P] = 0 and [H_L, H] not = 0
hold simultaneously.

As I think I am essentially a mathematician who does not think physically, I
would prefer to follow mathematical usage rather than the usual one :-)

> The final sentence of the paper is especially dear to me: "...time is
> an indefinite desire to reach the balance that only the Universe [in
> itself] has." I see this as being the key to the phenomenology of time
> as expressed in the 'tension' of dissimilarity between the whole of the
> Universe as a totality and the parts thereof. I am reminded of my
> definitions of the word universe:
>
> 1) The Totality of Existence, All that exists. (This is the "objective"
> definition")
> 2) The sum, set or class of all observables that a given observer may be
> aware, measure, etc. of. (This is the "subjective definition")

Yes, the discrepancy between the "objective" universe and the "subjective"
universe is the cause that time exists subjectively (i.e locally).

> These two aspects, I believe are expressions of the fundamental
> dichotomy at the heart of observation and the reason why time is a
> subjective phenomena. There is also the possibility that the difficult
> issues of entropy and potentials will be better understood in the light
> of this brilliant statement by Hitoshi!

It would be pleasure if it could be a help for us to understand those
problems.

I hope that a "proof of the existence" of the exterior system E *implies* the
"existence" of E.

> For all Time List readers there is a
> discussion of the implications of Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem at:

http://x29.deja.com/viewthread.xp?AN=445933001&search=thread&svcclass=dnyr&ST=
PS&CONTEXT=940602804.2060124203&HIT_CONTEXT=940602804.2060124203&HIT_NUM=0&rec
num=%3c36CC02E1.167E@cns.mpg.de%3e%231/1&group=sci.physics.research&frpage=get
doc.xp&back=clarinet

http://members.home.net/stephenk1/Outlaw/Chicken%20Little%20and%20Group%20Theo
> > ry.html
> >
> > The understanding here seems typical for physicists who do not understand
what
> > is formal theory or system. Even in Princeton when Goedel was an
associated
> > professor yet many years after his proof of incompletness, some professor
said
> > in front of him that logic did not make any progress since the age of
> > Aristotle. Many of today's physicists are the same as that "some (stupid)
> > professor."
>
> I completely agree! It is sad that the Truth is ignored when it is not
> convenient! I am still puzzled by the total apathy that is being shown
> to thinkers such as yourself and Michael C. Mackey!

This may be because "their" purpose is not the Truth. Just to get a position
is their purpose.

> Later,
>
> Stephen

I add a correction of the acknowledgements that owes to my wife who teaches
English (her page is http://www.kitada.com/~keiko/ ):

{\bf Acknowledgements.} I wish to express my appreciation to
 the members of Time Mailing List at http://www.kitada.com/
 for giving me the opportunity to consider the present problem.
 Special thanks are addressed to Lancelot R. Fletcher, Stephen
 Paul King, Benjamin Nathaniel Goertzel, Matti Pitkanen, who have
 been making stimulating discussions with me on the list and
 leading me to consider the present problem. I especially thank
 Stephen for his comments on the earlier draft to improve my
 English and descriptions.

Best wishes,
Hitoshi