[time 835] Re: FW: [time 830] Re: Does a fundamental time exist in GR and QM? The thinking of others...

Stephen P. King (stephenk1@home.com)
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 19:25:59 -0400

Dear Lance,

        I was trying to get some thinking focussed on the key issue: time and
how it is thought of. I too am interested in how Hitoshi contrasts his
notions with those of people like Baez. One problem that I see, is that
it is assumed that there exist only one space-time manifold in which all
observers are embedded. This is a very old notion and remains
unquestioned!
        We need to consider the implications of LS theory with regards to this!
I believe that each LS would define its own space-time, both in terms of
the causal behavior of its observations and the group theoretical
behavior thereof. We can take a clue from the ideas were geometries were
defined by the algebraic properties of systems and not by some a priori
given.
        We need to talk about clocking! We need to figure out a clear and
concise definition that is applicable at any level of complexity. I feel
that it will relate directly to what observation is in a
non-anthropocentric fashion. :-)
        I cut and pasted your post [time 833]] below.