[time 814] Re: [time 812] Re: [time 811] Re: [time 810] Re: [time 809] Stillabout construction of U

Sun, 26 Sep 1999 08:42:29 +0300 (EET DST)

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, Hitoshi Kitada wrote:

> Dear Matti,
>
> Since you seem not answer the following questions, I make other questions:
>
> Are H_0=L_0(free) and H=L_0(tot) not self-adjoint, but only Hermitian? And in
> what Hilbert spaces are they defined?

a) L_0(free) and L_0(tot) are Hermitian: I have accustomed to use
self-adjoint and Hermitian in same sense: <m,An> =(Am,n). Please
explain the difference.

b) I answered the question about Hilbert space in previous email.
I glue the answer also here.

The space of configuration space spinor fields defined in
the space of 3-surfaces. For given 3-surface this space reduces
to space of configuration space spinors and is essentially Fock
space spanned by second quantized free imbedding space
spinor fields fields induced to spacetime surface X^4(X^3).

By GCI one can reduce inner product to integration over
3-surfaces belonging to the boundary of imbedding space:
lightcone boundary xCP_2 plus summation over the degenerate
absolute minima of Kaehler action: this is implied by classical
nondeterminism of Kaehler action.

This reduction is crucial simplification: otherwise one would have
difficult time with Diff^4 gauge invariance.

c) What are their spectra in that space?

L_0(n) and L_0(tot) annihilates physical states. Spectrum contains
only zero eigenvalue.

L_0(n)= p^2-L_0(vib,n)

decomposition where p^2 and L_0(vib,n) are Hermitian
implies spectrum for mass squared from L_0(n)Psi_0=0 condition
and this is integer valued
p^2= nm_0^2, n=01,2,3....

The construction of solution so the conditions L_0(n)Psi_0=0
leads to the construction of Super Virasoro representations.
This is horribly rich and complicated mathematical theory. Unitary
representations are well known and are crucially important
for string models and 2-dimensional conformal field theories
describing 2-dimensional critical systems.

Here is one classical reference:

C. Itzykson, H. Saleur,J-B. Zuber (Editors)(1988):
Conformal Invariance and Applications to Statistical Mechanics, Word
Scientific.

> As you said about L_0(vib), their spectra are discrete? But how about the
> part p^2? H and H_0 contains p^2, then their spectra become continuous?

The spectrum of p^2 is fixed by the condition L_0(n) Psi_0=

p^2= L_0(vib)=m_0^2!

Mass squared quantization results. Mass squared is integer multiple
of (10^(-4) Planck mass) squared. This mass quantization is the
basics of basics of string models and of TGD.

Physically only massless states are important. There is however a small
thermal mixing of m^2=0 states with m^2=n>0 states described by p-adic
thermodynamics for L_0 (rather than energy!). p-Adic thermodynamics
for Super Virasoro representations is extremely predictive since
Bolzman weight exp(-E/T) is replaced with p^(L_0/T) and
T must be 1/inger valued for power of p to exist p-adically.

This leads to predictions of elementary particle masses and accuracy
is better than one percent using the freedom to select
the p-adic prime characterizing particle: p-Adic length scale
hypothesis stating p= about 2^k, k power of prime, however
makes theory extremely predictive.

>And Psi and Psi_0 are genuine eigenstate of H and H_0, i.e. not
> generalized
> eigenfunctions?

As far as Psi_0 is considered everything looks simple. Genuine
eigestates of p^2/L_0(vib).
The construction of the representations of L_0 is essentially
equivalent with construction of states of
two-dimensional conformal quantum field theory
whose states are labelled by integers or even simpler.
Infinite number of oscillator operators generate the states
satisfying Virasoro conditions. There are also additional
quantum numbers: typically there is Kac Moody algebra
associated with some Lie group involved.

Of course, in TGD one has configuration space and it would be naive
to say that everything is simple.

About Psi it is difficult to say. Construction of S-matrix in QFT:s
relies on the same scattering solution. The normalization of
the solution forces the replacement

Psi= Psi_0 /sqrt(Z) + (1(L_0(free)+iepsilon)L_0(int)Psi

In quantum field theories wave function renormalization
constant Z diverges (also bare charge diverges). What
happens in TGD: does Z diverge? Is divergence of
Z in real context the deep reason for the necessity of
p-adic valued S-matrix?

> I.e., are they in the Hilbert space for H_0 and H? You said
> you did not say anything about the decomposition of L_0(tot) into the sum of
> L_0(free) and L_0(int), etc. Then does your argument you have been writing
> have any meaning at all?

I wanted to concentrate to just bare essentials of the magic
formula of time dependent perturbation theory without introducing
any complications unessential for the application of formula.

The beauty of TGD approach is that the decomposition of L_0(tot)
to L_0(free)+L_0(int) is purely topological.

The connected spacetime surface X^4(X^3) characterizing particle reaction
is analogous to string diagram.

a) There are number of outgoing
3-surfaces X^3(n,a--> rightarrow infty) (a is lightcone proper time):
these are like outgoing strings.

b) L_0(tot) is associated with the actual 4-surface X^4(X^3), which
is connected.

c) L_0(free) is sum of L_0(n):s associated with absolute minimum
4-surfaces X^4(X^3(n)) associated with X^3(n)! Same holds true for
p_k(a--> infty). This is the big idea, which makes the definition
of 'free' L_0 completely unique and natural. Note however absolute
minimization of Kaehler action comes into the play.

d) L_0(int) is simply the difference L_0(tot)-sum_nL_0(n)!