[time 764] Re: [time 762] Noumenon and Phenomenon

WDEshleman@aol.com
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 18:14:18 EDT

In a message dated 9/14/99 3:09:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
stephenk1@home.com writes:

> Dear Bill,
>
> WDEshleman@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > Time group,
> >
> > Hitoshi has allowed his orthogonalisation of QM and GR
> > to be called the noumenon of his theory of LSs.
> >
> > My approach to cosmology is to make inertia and gravity
> > orthogonal (independent) and I accept this orthogonalisation
> > as the noumenon of my cosmology.
> >
> > Could it be a consistent if not general rule that the noumenon
> > is an orthogonalisation of phenomenon?
>
> By noumenon do you mean the class of all "observers", in that the
> noumena (singular case) are "what is doing the observing" and,
> similarly, do you mean phenomenon to be the class of all "observations"?
> http://www.browncat.demon.co.uk/hoi/dictionary/concepts/n/Noumenon.html
>
> Kindest regards,
>
> Stephen

Stephen,

Webster's definition is ok by me...

Noumenon: a posited object or event as it appears in itself
                   independent of perception by the senses.

Phenomenon: an object or aspect known through the senses
                      rather than by thought or intuition.

Sincerely,

Bill