[time 739] Time operator revisited. Re: [time 701]

Hitoshi Kitada (hitoshi@kitada.com)
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 22:02:19 +0900

Dear Stephen et al.,

The canonical conjugate operator to H could be defined by requiring only the
algebraic relation:

i[t, H] = h,

apart from the associated Hilbert space structure usually required. The reason
is that the local time t of an LS is a scalar and can define a multiplication
operator

f(t) |-> t f(t),

if we need not make a norm (including the integration wrt t) finite.

Matti's concerns in the following post would make sense in the usual
treatments, however these are not problems if we stop sticking to the usual
Hilbert space structure, as Stephen pointed out in [time 706]:

>Forgive my silly question, but is it necessary to define such a Hilbert
>space?

This is not at all silly, but in my formulation does have a meaning, for the
set of QM orbits exp(-itH/h)Psi(0) can be identified with the Hilbert space of
initial state functions Psi(0) by the relation

(exp(-itH/h)Psi(0), exp(-itH/h)Phi(0)) = (Psi(0), Phi(0)).

Thanks Stephen. I was bound by the ghost of the existing or passing science in
my reply [time 702] to Matti [time 701].

Best wishes,
Hitoshi