[time 699] Re: [time 698] Re: [time 696] Re: [time 695] Re: [time 691] ... Re: [time 686] Time operator?

Hitoshi Kitada (hitoshi@kitada.com)
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 11:47:06 +0900

Dear Stephen,

> Dear Hitoshi et al,
>
> Hitoshi Kitada wrote:
> snip
> [SPK]
> > > Space and Time, Matter and Mind : The Relationship Between Reality and
> > > Space-Time by W. Schommers, (October 1994) World Scientific Pub Co;
> > > ISBN: 9810218516
>
> > > I will write up a relevant quote as soon as possible...
> [HK]
> > Thanks for the quotation.
>

> I don't know how to write the equations correctly in ascii, but would
> it not be similar to Schommers' notion?
>
> Quantum Theory and Picture of Reality, W. Schommers (ed.)
> Springer-Verlag (April 1989) pg. 220-1

I read this book before.

> "It was argued by Schrodinger and Pauli that such a time-energy relation
> should be a straightforward consequence of a commutation rule with the
> structure...
>
> [T^hat, H^hat] = i hbar I^hat (5.8)
>
> which is the commutation rule between the time operator T^hat and the
> Hamiltonian H^hat representing the variables t and E. Does there exist
> such a time-operator T^hat within the usual QT? The answer is no, for
> the following reason... [given the position-momentum relation [x^hat_i,
> p^hat_i] = i hbar I^hat, i = 1,2,3] ... it follows that there should
> exist the relation
>
> i hbar * (\partial f(T^hat))/(\patial T^hat) = [f(T^hat), H^hat] (5.9)
>
> which is completely equivalent to (5.6). [i hbar * (\partial
> f(x^hat_i))/(\patial x^hat_i) = [f(x^hat_i), p^hat] , i = 1, 2, 3 (5.6)]
> The application of (5.9) to the unitary operator
>
> f(T^hat) = exp{i \alpha T^hat} (5.10)
>
> leads to
>
> -hbar \alpha f(T^hat) Phi_E = Ef(T^hat)Phi_E - H^hat f(T^hat) Phi_E,
> (5.11)
>
> where \alpha is a real number and Phi_E an eigenfunction of H^hat with
> eigenvalues E:
>
> H^hat Phi_E = E Phi_E . (5.12)
>
> With
>
> Psi_E = f(T^hat)Phi_E, (5.13)
>
> we have
>
> H(hat) Psi_E = (E + hbar\alpha)Psi_E
>
> i.e., Psi_E is also an eigen function of H^hat, but with eigenvalue E +
> \alpha hbar. Since \alpha is arbitrary, the eigenvalues of H^hat would
> take all real values from -\inf. to +\inf, and this is in contradiction
> with the existence of a discrete energy spectra."

Yes, this is right, insofar as it is considered in the usual framework of QM.
I.e. the state vectors are Psi(x), the functions of configuration variables x
only.

In my case of [time 692], the state vectors are Psi(x,t) =
exp(-itH/h)Psi(x,0), the functions of time and coordinates. By this
difference, one has

i[t, H] = - i[H, t] = i[T, t] = h.

Since H is an operator that acts on the functions Psi(x,t) of x and t, and it
acts as H = -T on them, H naturally has the spectra that is the whole real
line, consistent with the argument you quoted.

Namely the opeartor H newly defined in [time 692] is different from the usual
Hamiltonian H. The former acts on the four dimensinal space functions
(exactly, on Psi(x,t) = exp(-itH/h)Psi(x,0)), while the latter on three
dimensional functions. So I reformulated the usual QM to 4 dimesnional form,
then no contradiction and the canonical conjugateness of t to H follows.

> snip
> > >
> > > Yes, but this implies that the energy of the LS has some strange
> > > behavior!
> >
> > What is the strange point?
>
> Given the discussion above, we are left wondering how it is that we
> only observe a discrete energy spectra.

This is not correct. Not "only," but one "also" observes discrete energy
spectra in addition to the continuous energy spectra.

 I think I know why! I will try

Best wishes,
Hitoshi