[time 576] Re: [time 575] Re: [time 560] Zeno paradox, etc...

Hitoshi Kitada (hitoshi@kitada.com)
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 19:03:21 +0900

Dear Matti,

We seem to agree on the distinction between subjective time and geometric
time.

Local time of an LS clearly means subjective time. The difference here
between yours and mine seems that you assume quantum jumps as the clocking
of subjective time. What makes the quantum jumps occur in your context? Is
it not by the influence from the outside of the LS? I conjecture in my
theory that this is the property of LSs themselves that they are finite
beings inside the universe subject to the interactions with other LSs
inside a whole (stationary) Universe.

Matti Pitkanen wrote:

[snip]

> Geometric clock is impossible and is not even needed. Subjective clocks
> are needed. I have suggested in 'Self and Binding'
> (http://www.physics.helsinki.fi/~matpitka/selfbind.html) a model
> of clock as a subself waking up periodically. The model explains
> why subjectively experienced time runs slowly when we get bored,
> why time disappears totally in whole-body consciousness (there is
> no subselves awake and hence no clock and hence no time!), what might be
> involved in those states of mind in which time stops (for instance,
> you are in car accident: by the way, there is a book of Oliver Sacks
> telling from persons who lived in this state for decades:'Man who
> mistook his wife for his hat').

Best wishes,
Hitoshi