[time 522] Re: [time 519] Re: Refocusing

Stephen P. King (stephenk1@home.com)
Sat, 07 Aug 1999 10:22:16 -0400

Dear Matti,

Matti Pitkanen wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Aug 1999, Stephen P. King wrote:
>
> > Dear Matti,
> >
> > It appears that I am unable to argue Pratt's case adequately. So, I
> > will try another tack. I have re-read Time V
> > (http://www.kitada.com/time_V.html), and think that it offers a simple
> > concept that I may be able to discuss better. I will reply to [time 516]
> > as soon as possible.
>
> OK. I hope my rhetorics was not too provocative. It was just rhetorics
> in order to clarify what we were talking about(;-)!

        I get frustrated by the lack of clarification that I am getting. I
blame it on my own problem in translating my pictoral style thinking
into words...

> What interests me would be opinions about what are the fundamental
> operations performed by conscious computational mind, operations which
> do not reduce to anything simpler. I have been able to identify too such
> operations in TGD framework.

        Please read ratmech.ps! Pratt tells us these "atomic" opratations:
"Functions identify and adjoin..." "Antifunctions copy and delete..."
(Functions and antifunctions being acts of body and mind respectively!)
pg. 4, ratmech.ps

> Comparison of prediction for geometric time development and
> memory about subjective time development
> would be one basic operation. Most emotions would reflect the result of
> comparison of this kind (frustration, happiness,..)

        Emotions are "value" weightings, I think. They are subjective
"reactions" to the conditions of the physical/mental aspect of the self
at the moment, which are given by this comparison... They look like
curvature or anholomorphisms...

> [Geometric 'memory' is essentially simulation for what
> will happen and happened assuming that no quantum jumps would occur (world
> would be classical) and gives rise to intentionality: plans, desires,
> expectations, guesses what events led to particular situation,
> classical physics,.... Subjective time development corresponds
> to quantum jumps and subjective me memory is about quantum jumps occurred
> after the wake-up of self].

        Umm, but a self is only aware of "geometric time" by this definition.
The subjective time development demarks the evolution of the self
it-self, this is related to the means by which the self encodes and
decyphers meaning... We are never directly aware of the self that is
observer, when speaking first person, we are only aware of a dim
reflection of it...

> Self could perhaps also compare its subselves representing symbols in
> accuracy given by pinary cutoff and say whether they are identical or not
> in some respects. This aspect might be important for computationalism.

        Yes, the method by which such a comparison occurs is most important!

> Communication by copying or reproducing selves or programs identified as
> self cascades could be also basic operation.

        yes!

> But what other fundamental operations not reducible to anything simpler
> one could imagine? Help of a computationalist would be needed!(:-)

        Agreed!

later,

Stephen