[time 460] Fw: BOUNCE time: Header field too long (>1024)

Hitoshi Kitada (hitoshi@kitada.com)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:09:55 +0900

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:14:40 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Matti Pitkanen <matpitka@pcu.helsinki.fi>
To: time@kitada.com
        Wes Thomas <west@sonic.net>, Whitley Streiber
<WStrieber@aol.com>,
        John Paul Marshall <johnpaul@sirius.com>,
        "Kathi L. Austin" <KathiAustin@compuserve.com>,
        Tyger Brightfield <tygerbrightfield@yahoo.com>,
        StarMan <sarfatti@well.com>
Subject: The arrow of psychological time

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, bruces wrote:

> Matti,can you help me understaand what you mean by this and the use of
> the word 'emergence'?

I used it in the sense of 'emerging from TGD inspired theory of
consciousness'. Usually one is using it as concept related to
self-organization theories: more and more complicated structures
emerges gradually during evolution.

> For instance, one must understand the emergence of psychological time
> and its arrow.

I include a short piece of text of how psychological time
and its arrow emerge (from TGD!).

        Self and the arrow of psychological time

1. Psychological time as zero mode

Cognitive spacetime sheets have *finite duration* and
therefore one can assign to each cognitive spacetime sheet
a well defined value of psychological time as kind of cm time
coordinate.
This coordinate is obviously *zero mode* and since each
quantum jump involves *precise localization* in non-discrete
zero modes this means that cognitive spacetime sheet has
same precise value of psychological time for all spacetime surfaces
appearing in the quantum superposition.

2. Arrow of psychological time from drift and diffusion of
cognitive spacetime sheet

Since there is much more room in future of a ligthcone point than
in its past, selves/cognitive spacetime sheets diffuse
or even drift gradually into future direction like particle in
Brownian motion.

a) If only *diffusion* is present the increase of
psychological time is caused solely by boundary
conditions and the arrow of psychological time is rather
weak.

b) Of course, quantum jumps leading to the increase of time a could
be (and probably are) more probable than those leading to the
reduction of a and this tendency could be
described phenomenologically as *drift* in force field: this
leads to strong arrow of psychological time. Also the dependence
of diffusion constant on a leads to an effective drift term.
Effective drift term could be caused by the mere fact that there is
more volume in the future of the lightcone implies drift. The reason is
that
in principle arbitrary larger decrements of a are possible and this
means that the situation differs from diffusion in lattice with position
independent diffusion constant.
Drift term could also phemenologically describe the fact that
for given value of a the quantum jumps to
 larger values of a are sligthly more probable: for pure
diffusion the arrow of time would result from boundary conditions
alone.

3. Drift of cognitive spacetime sheets in future lightcone is probably
needed

One can argue that diffusional time arrow is too weak: it
seems obvious that cognitive spacetime sheet created
at a position with very large value of a can diffuse to very distant
geometric past before the boundary conditions forced by lightcone
boundary become effective. Stronger form of psychological
time arrow results if there is drifting
force present. This would mean that a increases at constant
velocity for large values of a

        da/dn = V .

4. How radidly the time runs?

Time literally runs in TGD framework. Each quantum jump maeans
hopping of cognitive spacetime sheet to future direction (on
the average).

p-Adic length scale hypothesis suggests some guesses for the velocity
V with which hopping occurs:

a) An adhoc guess for V is as CP_2 length scale: V=l
so that average increment of lightcone propertime would be
10^4 Planck lengths which means something like 10^{-39}
seconds. Hence psychological time would be continuous in excellent
approximation 10^(39) quantum jumps per second!

b) An alternative ad hoc guess is V= L_p =l\sqrt{p}: this would
be in accordance with the idea that particle with p-adic prime p
can be satisfactorily described using quantum field theory in spacetime
volume of duration L_p. This option is rather interesting biologically:
for a system with size of order one meter this would mean that chronon
of
the psychological time would be of order 10^{-8} seconds.
Note that in this case selves within self would move within self and
one can speak about waves of free will. Large p systems have smaller
number of quantum jumps per geometric time than systems with smaller.

c) One can consider also other possibilities for V: for
instance, V = L_p/v, where v is some characteristic velocity
(c==1) in system, could be considered. In this case
rather long durations of quantum jump could result for macroscopic
selves.