[time 352] Re: [time 351] problems 1

Stephen P. King (stephenk1@home.com)
Tue, 25 May 1999 12:21:50 -0400

Dear Matti,

        I would like to explore my thinking of information and the "modeling of
subjectivity" a bit more closely. :) I believe that we are using
different paradigms (ways of thinking) and misunderstand each other. :(

Matti Pitkanen wrote:
snip

> Quantum histories are quantum superpositions of these spacetime surfaces
> and moments of consciousness (observations) give conscious information
> about them and create 'I', the illusion about observer as continuous
> stream of consciousness.

        What is "information" to you? I see is as a quality that is *what
symbols or configurations represent*; it is "meaning" in-tself! To
identify "physical states" with the "meaning of symbols" would, to me,
imply that the symbols are a priori synthetics. This is, IMHO, not even
wrong, it is meaningless. I can understand that spacetime
[hyper]surfaces do encode information and consciousness is definable as
sequences (or ensembles?!) of mappings between such. And, yes, the
"observer as continuous stream of consciousness" is a concept I agree
with! It is "how" the "illusion" is generated that I am talking about
and I think you are also!

[SPK]
[MP]
> > > In this sense you could regard classical time evolution of physical
> > > system as computation. But quantum jumps is not a computation: it is
> > > not modellable. Or so I believe....

[SPK]
> > Not modelable in a Turing Machine (TM) sense, yes, but it is modelable
> > in an Interaction Machine (IM) sense! The property of
> > "nonserializability" of MIMs (see section 10 of Peter's paper) speaks
> > directly to this point! :) The key idea is that these "quantum jumps",
> > as experiences, are _*NOT*_ a priori synthetics! They are constructed by
> > finite local systems in an "on the fly" way! This is a direct
> > contradiction to the LaPlacean vision of a 4-dimensional frozen
> > universe! Please read Peter's paper. ;)
> > also: http://hume.ucdavis.edu/kant/pap1comm.htm for comments on a priori
> > synthetics...
[MP]
> I think I understand you point here. My belief (we are
> now in dangerous zone(;-)) is that the basic property of subjective
> experience is nonmodellability but I could be wrong.

        It is obvious that a mathematical model of subjectivity can not have an
intentional stance or "be aware" of anything. So I agree with your
statement that "the basic property of subjective experience is
nonmodellability", but I am trying to discuss how to deal with the
subject-object dichotomy itself as a object of a model. When an observer
A observes another observer B and attempts to model B's subjective
stance, A is modeling B's point of view, but A's model of B's point of
view is not B's point of view unless A = B and thus when A =/= B, we
have to conclude that A's observations and B's observations are at least
non-Hausdorf in their classes of observations. In other words, we can
say that A and B can have similar observations, but the subjective
observation of A by B and B by A are not the same topologically set
point wise.
        Umm, all of this wording tacitly assumes a third observer C, here me
writing these words, and this is one of the reasons why this issue is so
difficult! A third observer C observing the behavior of A and B
perceives them as systems with some dynamics and is only capable of
modeling them as objects separate from itself.
        One of the actions that we, as conscious observers, do is to jump from
on "vantage point" to another, much like, I think, you mean with your
talk of "quantum jumps". If we do not explicitly take into account this
nonmonotonic (if this is the correct term) property we get lost!

> If quantum jump is modellable, the model must
> explain why only a discrete subset of all
> possible final states (eigenstates of 'measured' observables)
> and predict correctly the probabilities of various outcomes.
> Here is formidable challenge for IM.

        Is it explaining "why only a discrete subset of all possible
eigenstates" is experienced by any given observer? I can only say
"whatever happens happens because it was the easiest given the
circumstances", e.g. the Principle of Least Action. But, I am thinking
of such as an "action", like a verb. I see this as a problem or an
equation that the Universe is trying to solve. This "solving" is what I
mean by "computation"! The solutions do not exist in a way that is
accessible without constraints; this is an assumption of Classical
thinking, that knowledge is obtainable without a price. We see the
subtleties of this in the study of Maxwell's Demon:
http://members.home.net/stephenk1/Outlaw/maxdemon.html I have been
trying to speak about this in my previous posts but it seems that I am
not understood. :( Also, to say that "this as a problem or an equation
that the Universe is trying to solve" is a figure of language, I mean it
metaphorically, but I do intend the meaning! :)
        "Predict correctly the probabilities of various outcomes" seems to
imply, to my thinking, that it is somehow possible to compute the
outcome of a given equation "faster" than it takes Nature to generate
it! This is why I say that observations qua experiences are
constructions! It is well known that it is impossible to simulate most
phenomena "faster" that Nature makes them happen. (the NP-Completeness
issue)
        This last point speaks to two issues that at first do not appear to be
related: 1) the finite "speed" of signals and 2) the "why" one thing
happens rather than another (Leibnitz's Principle of Sufficient Reason).
But I don't wish to get into this thorny line of thinking directly here
and now. :)
        We could say that what we experience is the Universes simulation, but
we must understand the subject-object duality better. I say that the
subject-object relation is a duality because, well, to think of one
without at least tacitly assuming the existence of the other is
impossible and it is obvious that they are not ontologically identical.

        What I am trying to do here is to see if there is an algebra that can
be represented symbolically. One thing that see as lacking in other
attempts to construct such kinds of algebra is that they tend to only
allow
for a single set of observables. There does appear to be an identity and
an operation and an inverse, but there is also something else! There is
not an equality, there is an equivalence that I see explained well by
the concept of observational equivalence. I will try to get to the
detail of Peter's discussion in a future post.
        I found an interesting paper that discusses these issues:
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/quant-ph/9901013
Later,

Stephen

PS, I am pasting a letter that discusses these issues:

***