[time 302] [Fwd: classification of 3-manifolds]

Stephen P. King (stephenk1@home.com)
Mon, 10 May 1999 19:44:28 -0400

attached mail follows:

> Might we think of the solutions of general relativity (as
> 4-manifolds) as being subject to such an (polynomial time computable)
> equivalence? Would there be similar situations for finite traces
> (spaning subsets?) of the two infinite groups? Would they be merely
> NP-Hard?

The equivalence is not polynomial time equivalent or even decidable for
4-manifolds in general. Solutions to GR may have restrictions on them
that make the problem decidable, but I don't know of any such result.

- Cris