[time 269] Re: [Time 267] and [Time 83] and [Questions about Time and fuzzy hypersets]

Stephen P. King (stephenk1@home.com)
Mon, 03 May 1999 06:32:10 -0400

Dear Ben,

        I am thinking of your last post: [time 267]

>Primally, space and time are basically two kinds of ~separateness~.

>Space is what allows two identical objects to coexist but be ~different~.

>Time is what allows one object to be ~different from itself~ (because existing
>at different times)

>Space is the movement from X not= X to X=X
>Time is the movement from X=X to X not= X

>They are two directions of movement of the same paradox, X=X but X not= X

>Indian logic distinguishes 4 truth values,
>true, false, both true and false, neither true nor false

>Similarly, we may say that any two entities are either
>same, different, neither same nor different, both same and different

>Space and time both allow entities to be both same and different
>Space is the movement from difference to sameness; time is the movement from
>sameness to difference

>I suspect that this ontological observation can be used to deduce from
>first philosophical principles the fact that time is measured using imaginary numbers whereas
>space is measured using real numbers. But I don't have time to work this out right
>now (good excuse, huh?)

        How space and time are dynamical inverses is somewhat like a thought
that I have been mulling over for a long time! :) But I never thought of
it this way! ({X = ~X} -> (X = X}) <-> ({X = X} -> {X = ~X}) I think
that a infomorphism can be defined here! We just need to figure out the
classificatioons.
        Peter, do you have any ideas? ;)

Re: [time 83] Re: [time 81] Entropy, wholeness, dialogue, algebras

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> It is very different,if my recollection serves. Fuzzy set theory is not
> the same as entropy or algorithmic information theory.
>
> It is based on the Min() and Max() operators which preserve distributivity
> but are not at all psychologically realistic. My preference is for probabilistic
> logic. So I agree that fuzziness is needed, but the min/max algebra on fuzzy
> sets I have always steered away from in my AI work.

        Could you explain your reasoning of why the Min() and Max() operators
of fuzzy logic are "not at all psychologically realistic"? This is
driving me nuts! ;)