[time 267] Re: [time 266] Time and the Origin of Dimensions

Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Sun, 02 May 1999 22:01:02 -0400

At 11:04 AM 5/2/99 -0400, Lester Zick wrote:
>Hello to All,
>
>There are additional considerations relevant to the nature of material
>time and spatial dimensionality. Space in general is not laid out on any
>universal grid. The dimensionality of space is Euclidean in geometric
>terms, but this circumstance is simply a categorical implication of the
>ability to think and act.

Primally, space and time are basically two kinds of ~separateness~.

Space is what allows two identical objects to coexist but be ~different~.

Time is what allows one object to be ~different from itself~ (because existing
at different times)

Space is the movement from X not= X to X=X
Time is the movement from X=X to X not= X

They are two directions of movement of the same paradox, X=X but X not= X

Indian logic distinguishes 4 truth values,
true, false, both true and false, neither true nor false

Similarly, we may say that any two entities are either
same, different, neither same nor different, both same and different

Space and time both allow entities to be both same and different
Space is the movement from difference to sameness; time is the movement from
sameness to difference

I suspect that this ontological observation can be used to deduce from
first philosophical
principles the fact that time is measured using imaginary numbers whereas
space is
measured using real numbers. But I don't have time to work this out right
now (good
excuse, huh?)

ben