[time 175] Re: [time 173] Re: [time 167] Re: [time 164] Question

Hitoshi Kitada (hitoshi@kitada.com)
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 01:27:35 +0900

Dear Ben,

----- Original Message -----
From: Ben Goertzel <ben@goertzel.org>
To: Stephen P. King <stephenk1@home.com>; Time List <time@kitada.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 1999 12:34 AM
Subject: [time 173] Re: [time 167] Re: [time 164] Question

> > The problem is that the Big Bang introduces more problems than it
> >explains. It postulates a unique "beginning" and "end" to spacetime.
> >There are more facts to be accounted for that the Big Bang with its
> >"dark matter" and "cosmic strings" and inflatons can deal with. It
> >reminds one of the epicycle theory! ;) There is evidence from the plasma
> >physics community that galaxies, quasars and even gamma ray bursters can
> >be explained nicely using their formalisms without any unobservables at
> >all! "Ghost galaxies" indeed!
>
> Just to clarify
>
> -- dark matter is not a logically a consequence of the big bang, it's a
> consequence of some
> extra assumptions that people make

on the basis of observation...

> -- cosmic strings are not needed for the big bang
>
> I'm not wedded to the big bang theory. However, it was the discovery of
> the cosmic
> background radiation that caused most steady state theorists to give up
> (pretty much
> all but Hoyle and Narlikar, who developed the steady state theory initially
;)

> This one particular empirical observation very strongly supports the big
> bang, and I know
> of no alternative explanation. If we can find one, that's great.

Hoyle prosposed that the space is filled with some small thin sticks made of
iron at a small density, which reflect radiations from stars, etc. He
calculated the wave length and it concides with the cosmic background
radiation... according to my memory. According to this explanation, the region
filled with such sticks can be finite, and at any point inside the region, the
same radiation should be observed. So there is a possibility that if we can go
out some region around earth (which may have some sharp boundary), we can find
a place where no cosmic radiation can be observed.

> ben

Hitoshi