[time 170] Re: [time 161] Re: [time 160] Re: [time 157] tangent-cotangent; spaces and algebras that is!

Mon, 5 Apr 1999 08:08:31 +0300 (EET DST)

On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Stephen P. King wrote:

> Matti,
>
> Let me add: if we have tangent and cotangent spaces, do we also have
> algebras and "coalgebras" that are the relations among the points in the
> spaces? Can we have a 'hyperalgebra' of relations that maps algebras to
> coalgebras, and hyperhyperalgebras mapping between hyperalgebras? If so,
> we are speaking to what Bohm was trying to formalize with Implicate
> Orders and Baez with his N-Categories! Also this is the key idea used by
> Wegner in his study of interactive computing!
> http://www.cs.brown.edu/~pw/papers/math1.ps

Unfortunately, I do not have precise idea about what co-algebra means:
something like this I have met when trying to understand quantum groups
(with very little success!). So I must ask what co-algebra means.

The elements of octonionic algebra correspond to vector fields or
1-forms: X= X_kI^k =X^kI_k (sum understood), where X_k and X^k are
components of form/vector field. XY is the octonionic product of two
vector fields. As a matter fact, one could speak of local octonion
algebra. It is local number field (analogous to local gauge group). Local
number fields *almost* form an infinite dimensional number field: the
problems are caused by the zeros of X where 1/X explodes.

MP