[time 122] RE: [time 120] Re: [time 109] RE: [time 104] Re: [time 102] Re: [time 99] Spacetime& consciousness

Hitoshi Kitada (hitoshi@kitada.com)
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 01:53:23 +0900

Dear Ben,

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Goertzel <ben@goertzel.org>
To: Hitoshi Kitada <hitoshi@kitada.com>; Stephen P. King <stephenk1@home.com>;
Time List <time@kitada.com>
Date: Sunday, April 04, 1999 1:25 AM
Subject: [time 120] Re: [time 109] RE: [time 104] Re: [time 102] Re: [time 99]
Spacetime& consciousness

>At 07:09 PM 4/3/99 +0900, Hitoshi Kitada wrote:
>>Dear Ben,
>>
>>I have read GOERTZEL.html It is most impressive paper that I have read
>>recently.
>
>thanks!
>
>>I understand why you showed interest in my formulation: wholes vs. parts,
when
>>seeing the part:
>>
>>> Now neuropsychologists have shown that the role of consciousness
>>> in perception and cognition is precisely that of grouping, of forming
>>wholes.
>
>Yes, precisely....
>
>I have an intuition that
>
>1) there is a homomorphism of some type between the structure of the
>perceiving mind
>and the structure of the physical world

My intuition tells the same to me!

>2) this mapping is crucial to the loop by which objective reality is
>created as the sum
>(Feynman sum?) of the subjective realities of the minds within it

This is what I wanted to convey to Stephen in my previous mails to him.

>3) understanding this loop is going to be the key point to the next
>revolution in physics,
>& science as a whole

I agree. Science as a whole would have to be altered.

>Because of this I am fascinated by specific mappings between physics &
>psychology
>
>The parallel that I see between your physics and my psychology is an
>example of this,
>and possibly an important one.

I think that that parallel will constitute a main body of the future science.

>The analogy suggested is not a new one...
>
>quantum : classical
>unconscious : conscious
>
>People have proposed this in the context of quantum computing and the
>quantum brain
>before, but in a purely formal way without any deep underpinning. Now we
>are beginning to
>see a real logical underpinning for this analogy.
>
>But, there's a long way to go ;)

Yes, seeing the present stage of people.

>ben

Best wishes,
Hitoshi