[time 14] Re: Gravitational Aharonov-Bohm Effect

Stephen P. King (stephenk1@home.com)
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 21:39:39 -0500

Dear Hitoshi,

Hitoshi Kitada wrote:

> Dear Stephen,
>
> I had overlooked Eric's suggestion at the end of his message. Although I do
> not understand his point, it is interesting if we could hear his further
> explanation.
>
> Best,
> Hitoshi

        I have a copy of Weyl's "Space-Time_Matter" Dover Books, 1952. It is a
beautiful book. I had long hoped that Hermann's beautiful ideas could be
useful, to bad he lived in a world that could not understand him! :( I
have a photocopy of Eddington's chapter on Weyl's theory and his
assesment. The "pseudo-problem" of gauge invariance causing a smearing
of spectra is not a problem at all. I think that the arguments that we
use for "local" time are equally applicable to "local" spatial
distributions! There is a mathematical duality involved here, that of
the Fourier transform!

snip

> >>I am speculating that the observed gravitational Aharonov-Bohm effect is
> >>compatible with a conformal rescaling of the metric under parallel
> >>transport. Am I making sense?
> >>
> >>Thank you for any comments.
> >>
> >>Eric

Later,